One of the aspects of this diet is being Wheat Free. It can make eating really boring, especially if you just stick to rice. Now don't get me wrong I love rice, but too much of a good thing is what can cause food sensitivities in the first place. I am equally trying to make sure that I don't OD on too much soy which could also be bad for me. I don't think the answer to this is to eat tofu and rice every day, yesteday was a little Soy/Tofu heavy - so I am trying to keep myself in check. No soy today.... I'm going for seeds instead Munchy Seeds! Well they are whats in my cupboard and they are fab!
Anyway Tofu aside I've been eating a lot of rice too, rice itself (of course) but also rice flour, rice milk... so I figured I should try out some of the alternative gluten free grains that are out there. So.. today's experiment is Buckwheat. I was pretty sure that Buckwheat would make a great risotto - with a bit of research online I found a few recipies and was all set to experiment and create my own - so this is an alternate version of one of my favourite winter warmers. For my first effort I'm going to try a buckwheat and rice mix... then if its good I might try a full on Buckwheat extravaganza!
So this recipe is a Vegetarian / Dairy Free / Low Fat / Gluten Free recipe, but I have also given a few ideas for the non vegans amongst you and to be honest it really is pretty yummy!
Butternut & Buckwheat Risotto with Munchy Seeds
Serves 4
Ingredients
1/2 a medium butternut squash - diced
a drizzle of Olive oil
1 red onion, chopped
2 cloves of garlic, crushed
200g (1 cup) Arborio rice (preferably brown)
200g (1 cup) whole raw buckwheat ( I found mine in Waitrose)
1L (4 cups) vegetable stock
2 tbsp chopped fresh herbs chives/basil/oregano
2 tbsp Munchy Seeds (You could go for the the Mix of your Choice - I'd use either the Naken Mix or you could try the Chilli or Cajun Mix for a spicy bite!)
Method
Heat oil in a pan, add the onion and cook over low heat until softened. Add the crushed garlic, rice and buckwheat and stir to coat in oil and toast lightly.
In another pan prepare your stock. Add the butternut squash to your stock - or simply add water instead of stok and use the squash juices as your vegetable stock. Have your stock simmering and ready to be used.
Add 250ml (1cup) of your stock to the buckwheat and rice mixture and stir over a low to medium heat until the stock is absorbed. Add the remaining stock 125ml (1/2 cup) at a time stirring continuously, allow each ladle of stock to be absorbed before adding the next one, until rice is just tender - do not let the rice get too soft or it looses it's edge and makes a less than satisfactory risotto. Stir in butternut and half the fresh herbs with the last ladle of stock. The butternut will begin to msuh down slightly which adds a lovely orangy sauce to the risotto. Remove from the heat and cover with lid for 5 minutes.
N.B. For non Vegan readers - you could also add a tablespoon of cream and grate some freshly grated parmesan into the risotto in the last stage to add a richer creamy flavour. 3
You could of course also use this as a side dish for the meat of your choice.
Let me know if you try it and like it!
Enjoy! xx
No comments:
Post a Comment